Thursday, May 31, 2007

Second Officer, Charles Herbert Lightoller

{"What I remember about that night, what I will remember as long as I live, is the people crying out to each other as the stern began to plunge down. I heard people crying, 'I love you.'"}
Lightoller was very much the image of a steamship officer. Tall, sun bronzed and handsome, with a deep, pleasant speaking voice. He was a good officer and an outstanding seaman.
His monthly salary was 14.00.00 [in English pounds.]
At the time of the disaster he was 38.
His berth place was Chorley, Lancashire England.
His residence in 1912 was Southampton, England.
He began his career in 1900 with the White Star Line working with a man called E.J. Smith whom he liked and admired very much.
He was born in March 30th, 1874. His mother died only one month after he was born. Within one year one of his sisters died, and his father cared him for. The strain must have been too much on him, so one day he just upped and left for the sea.

“It is difficult to convey any idea of the size of ship like Titanic, when you could actually walk miles along decks and passages, covering different ground all the time. I was thoroughly familiar with pretty well every type of ship afloat, from a battleship to a barge, “but it took me 14 days before I could with any confidence find my way from one end of the ship to another by the shortest route.”
When he left his wife and home in Southampton, he told her “don’t you bother, the sea isn’t wet enough to drown me.” Second officer Charles Herbert Lightoller did survive the Titanic’s sinking.

I feel another quiz coming on!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sort of liked how Lightoller answered Senator Smith in the U.S. Inquiry. "What time did you leave the ship?" "I didn't leave it." "Did the ship leave you?" "Yes, sir."

Lightoller has his fans and critics (I've been both). And there will always be arguments about how he handled the "women and children first" thing. But no one can deny he was quite a remarkable fellow, and people respected him greatly.

Look at how Lightoller took charge of the situation when he and many other men found themselves stranded on an upside-down collapsible through the dark hours of the morning of April 15. Because of his leadership, the majority of those men lived.

After the Titanic herself, his Dunkirk adventure in World War II is my favorite Lightoller saga. At age 66, he rescued 130 men from the beaches of Dunkirk with his own yacht!

Anyway.... Daniel, yes, I always look forward to your quizzes.

Daniel said...

Well thank you for you view on Lightoller!
To me him, and Murdoch stand out among them all for some reason. I guess for the role that Lightoller played that fateful night, and the fact that Murdoch was on duty, at the time of impact.

And for the record I'll have to make the next quiz a bit harder, because it seems that you blew through the last one!!!

Anonymous said...

Uh, well... I'm still waiting for the perfect score, and I haven't even gotten close to that one! :-D

TO BECOME said...

Daniel, I am going to give you a quiz now. I have tagged you. You will have to go to my blog to see what I am talking about. We want to know what you have been reading. I wonder could it be something about the Titanic??? Grandma

Anonymous said...

Doni said I should check out your blog, so here I am.. It's really very cool and so much to read about! I know so little about the Titanic at least the ship itself. And now I learned something about Lightoller too!

Good site!

-L

Daniel said...

Hey, how yah doing? Glad you came over. I hope you never leave without learning something about the ship, or the people that sailed on her.
Welcome!!!

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

To be a noble human being is to have a philanthropic of openness to the mankind, an gift to group unsure things beyond your own control, that can govern you to be shattered in hugely exceptionally circumstances as which you were not to blame. That says something exceedingly impressive relating to the get of the ethical compulsion: that it is based on a trustworthiness in the up in the air and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a shop than like a jewel, something fairly feeble, but whose extremely precise beauty is inseparable from that fragility.